Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Breaking Free From The Box Part 3
This is what we use for cereal on mornings that we don't even have time to boil oatmeal. I have worked on this granola recipe for about a year to get it the way we likes it. So even though this is our recipe its very adaptable to what your family likes or needs. I am working on a soaked granola and will post that when I'm finished with it. I am learning the value of soaking or sprouting grains and nut, you can read for your self the health benefits here and here.
6 cups of oats or half oat and half barley oat
2 cups raw almonds
1/2 cup puffed millet
1/2 ground flax or wheat germ
1/2 unsweetened coconut
1/2 dried fruit ( add after cooked)
1 cup heirloom grain flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/3 cup of raw honey or grade B maple syrup*
2 TB melted coconut oil
Pre Heat 350
1. Mix all the dry ingredients
2. Melt the coconut oil in a small pan on the stove
3. Add honey to coconut oil and mix then add the apple sauce and mix again
4. Mix the wet into the dry ingredients. Make sure it is mixed well, be sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl.
5. I put mine into a jelly roll pan and stir it every 10 min or so.
6. Cook for 30-40 min.
*At the end I put a little maple syrup on top and mix it in and leave it in the oven while the oven is warm.