Friday, March 25, 2011

Easy Changes That Make a Big Impact on Your Health: Taking Out The Trash

High fructose corn syrup, MSG, soy letchin, soy oil and soy it's self. These things are trash to your body, they are genetically modified and are very bad for your health. Now we can argue all day about un-fermented soy but for my family I don't allow it in our home, if I can help it you can read here  and here as to why. The other stuff on this list are things that are found in almost anything processed even stuff labeled healthy. When we first started out on this road it was overwhelming because every box or package I turned over had one two or all of the list in the ingredient's . The good news is that when you step back and asses what your family really needs its not that hard. I try to keep simple nutritious snacks around like soaked and dried nuts, dried fruit and coconut cream over frozen berries is also a favorite. I don't spend my whole life in the kitchen making crackers and treats so that my family feels like they are not missing out. They understand why we eat this way and even my kids like to learn about what is and is not healthy and why.

High fructose corn syrup: Let me start out by saying if you have a child who is a little over energetic this could be the number one cause. My oldest can not handle sugar she is nuts after she eats this. HFCS comes from highly processing GMO corn starch and turn it into syrup.  According to a study that Princeton University did on HFCS:
 "These rats aren't just getting fat; they're demonstrating characteristics of obesity, including substantial increases in abdominal fat and circulating triglycerides," said Princeton graduate student Miriam Bocarsly. "In humans, these same characteristics are known risk factors for high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, cancer and diabetes."  read more here
There is a campaign going on by the corn industry which by the way is supplemented by the government that states HFCS is natural. I don't know what their definition of natural is but mine is not taking GMO corn and over processing the starch to make it a syrup that causes health risks.


MSG: Is not just to add flavor it is linked to cause multiple heath problems to better understand fully what MSG can do to your body I suggest watching this 4 part series on youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txiVDY-prk4. MSG will take a little time to get out of you diet but if you have any of the symptoms then it is worth the effort. I think for us the hardest has been salad dressings it should be the easiest because dressings are pretty instant but I just have not made the time. It is on my list and hopefully I will have a few go to dressings before the first lettuce is ready to buy/pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment